APPLE PIE CUPCAKES (with caramel filling & cinnamon frosting)
Too lazy to make an apple pie, but still want the taste of it? These cupcakes a great alternative! They’re easy to make and excellent for holiday parties, combining the favorite flavors of fall and winter.
Apple Pie Cupcakes
- 3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/2 cup natural applesauce
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 8 egg whites (or 4 eggs)
- 1 cup apple butter
- 1 cup Light Vanilla Silk Soy Milk
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees and line muffin pans with cupcake liners.
2. In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and allspice.
3. In the bowl of your electric mixer, mix butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar until creamy.
4. Add egg whites (or eggs) slowly, beating well after each addition.
5. Add dry ingredients and soy milk to mixing bowl, alternating until well combined. Scrape down sides of bowl as necessary.
6. Mix in apple sauce and apple butter. (Add extra soy milk if the batter is still too thick. If too watery, add extra flour.)
7. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full with batter.
8. Set cupcakes in oven. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
9. Let cupcakes cool in pans for 5 minutes, then remove to wax paper or cookie sheets to finish cooling.
- 3.5 oz (1/2 7 oz jar) marshmallow fluff
- 1/3 cup caramel sauce
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp nutmeg
10. While the cupcakes cool, make the filling. Place marshmallow fluff and caramel sauce into a small mixing bowl. Whip together until creamy.
11. Gradually add flour and nutmeg, whipping until well-mixed.
12. Using a sharp knife, cut a small circle out of the top of each cupcake.
13. Spoon caramel filling into each cupcake.
Apple Cinnamon Frosting
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup apple butter
- 1 tsp cinnamon, plus more for garnish
- 1-2 tbsp Light Vanilla Silk Soy Milk
14. Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl until just combined.
15. Use a mixer and blend until smooth and creamy, about 4-5 minutes.
16. Test the consistency and add either soy milk or sugar and blend again to achieve the desired consistency for frosting. [*You may want to add flour in order to help make it thicker. Add a bit at a time until you like the consistency.]
17. Frost cupcakes using desired technique. Decorate. [I broke up pieces of Stacy’s Gingerbread Pita Chips and stuck them into the frosting to add a bit of extra texture.] Refrigerate.
Yield: 2 dozen cupcakes